Today was Brookelynne's first 'real' halloween (since last year she was only 3 weeks old), and of course we went trick or treating! :) Mitch and I talked about it, because this year it fell on a Sunday and our church had a 'block party' that we could attend, or we could go trick or treating. While neither of us were really worried about her even remembering trick or treating, we did want her to have the tradition of dressing up and since they didn't want costumes at church, we decided to do halloween the old fashioned way!
So I got it in my head that she had to be a bumble bee, and so we did go ahead and look around at several costume shops to see what they had and how much they cost and I couldn't find anything that I liked. They were either 'baby costumes' (which were like sweatsuits, definitely not girly or even something she would be able to walk in) or they were really plain and flat (obviously not acceptable for my frilly little lady!). So after like 8 stores, I decided to make her a costume. This is how it turned out!
So for the tutu, I just used a headband (the stretchy ones that you use to keep the hair back with your ponytail), and tied 12 inch pieces of the tulle in the pattern of yellow, yellow, black, black. For each yellow, I tied 3 individual pieces of tulle right on top of each other so that it's good and full! Then just make sure that you aren't stretching the headband out as you add them, or it gets too big.
For the wings, I used the large black pipe cleaner to form the wings the way that I wanted them to look, and then cut inch long pieces of the large yellow pipe cleaner and wrapped them around the black to give them the striped look. Then I took the regular sized black pipe cleaners, and used them to make straps for the wings to stay on.
Then, for the antennas, I used the small black pipe cleaner, wrapped it around a pencil to make it spiral, and hot glued it to a clip. I then cut two small pieces off of the remaining large yellow pipe cleaner, and made them into balls, and hot glued them to the top. I clipped it to one of her black headbands that she's already used to wearing, and we were all set!