Saturday, April 2, 2011

ALS Walk...

Today we participated in the ALS walk for the second year. ALS is the devastating disease that took the life of my sweet friend Starr Bishop. So each year, as a way for us to raise awareness and money, Mitch, the kids and I join my best friend Sasha and her husband, as well as Starr's parents to do the local walk. We tye dye shirts for all of us each year (something that Starr loved doing was tye dyeing shirts) and wear them to the walk. Just like last year, we got a lot of compliments on our gear! :) It's really important to me that my kids be a part of things like this, not only to remember a good friend, but so that they always remember how very very VERY blessed we have been. I want them to know that there are people out there suffering and that we need to do what we can to help them. They need to know that we live in a fallen world, and because of sin bad things happen and diseases like this one exist. While we work toward and pray for a cure, or even a treatment, we praise the Lord knowing that he sent Jesus to redeem this fallen world! I'm so thankful that I have that hope, and can share it with my kids.

Please consider supporting me in this, the walk will be in April of next year, and its never too early to donate. Also, consider taking up a 'cause' yourself. Its so humbling to work with those less fortunate and be reminded that it doesn't matter what you have or how 'powerful' you are, a disease like ALS can affect anyone. Starr was 19 years old, and died less than 2 years after being diagnosed. The highest ranking officer at Mayport would have never thought that he would have to depend on someone else for everything, but after ALS, that's his new reality. How blessed am I! Thanks be to the Lord for all he has given us! And thanks be unto Him, even if he takes it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment