Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Brookelynne's Surgery

Today Brooke had her surgery and it went very well (just so you can all get rid of the suspense!)

She had tubes put into her ears and a bronchial cyst tract removed from her neck. Her surgery was scheduled for 10:15, so we had to be at the hospital at 8:15 for check in. While she cried the whole way to the hospital, she snapped out of it, just as we got off the bridge. Once inside, she immediately had every nurse in the area coming to see how cute she was walking in with her bunny. :) She did great through all of check in, from changing into the gowns, getting weighed and measured and even getting some blood out of her foot, not one cry. She hadn't had any food since 6:30 last night and had had juice at 6 am, but obviously was hungry. This morning before we left, she got a hold of 1 cheese it, and I'm pretty sure I had gotten all of it, but to be safe, they postponed Brooke's surgery until 2:45. Which really upset me and freaked me out because my poor little baby must be STARVING!!! Seriously, you should see what this girl usually eats! So anyway, they didn't tell us this until 10:30, and they gave her juice to 'hold her over', so thankfully she was able to take a short nap. She was acting wonderfully considering no food, and was entertaining everyone there. Speaking of which, Nay Nay, Grandma, Daddy and Mama were all there to help entertain her and keep her distracted, a job which we all tag-teamed as much as possible. Mitch and his Mom took a lunch first and then came back and my Mom and I went to get something to eat. We stopped at the gift shop on our way back and Grandma bought Brookelynne some pig slippers to match her hospital gown! :)

Which was HILARIOUS because we put them on her and she would take a step or two and then fall down to play with the pigs, and then stand up and walk again! haha It was so cute though. Anyway, they came and gave her some nausea medication around 2:00, and brought me, Mitch and Brooke into the back around 2:45. Then we met with the anesthesiologist and the surgery nurse. When Dr Maddern finished with the procedure he was doing, he came and talked with us too. I was rocking in a rocking chair with Brooke when he left and told us they would be taking her shortly. I prayed with her and told her how much I loved her. And although I did tear up, I did not cry, just for all of you who were wondering! :) We walked her to the surgery ward a few minutes later and handed over our most precious thing to the nurse, and quickly walked back to the waiting room.

About 45 minutes later, Dr Maddern came in and told us that the surgery went well. She had 2 more stitches than he had planned, but he got it all and it wasn't deep at all. So we had to then wait until she began to rouse from anethesia and was able to swallow, and then a nurse came and got us and took us back to a recovery room, where they promptly brought her into us. She looked SOOOO pitiful! :) She couldn't really talk because her throat was still so sore from them just pulling out the breathing tube, and she was going "ub ub ub ub ub ub." I tried to take her, but she wanted her daddy (big surprise), so he took her from the nurse and sat in the rocking chair while I gave her kisses and held the bottle they had for her. A couple minutes later Daddy got up and asked me to take her because she was fussing, and twisting and he was worried that he would mess up or pull out her iv. So I got her all untangled and held her really tight and she fell asleep again. Mitch took this opportunity to let the other family members come back and see her, and then when he came back in the room he kissed her goodbye and headed home (since he had been up since midnight and had to be up at midnight again, and at this point it was already 5:15). My mom then came back there with me and helped me get her dressed and when she woke up this time she was practically her regular self (except for some equilibrium issues that were resolved in half an hour or so). When we walked out of the recovery room, Paw Paw took her (although he was worried that he was going to break her) and she was more than happy to let him carry her out. We stopped at the pharmacy downstairs so that I wouldn't have to stop on the way home, and waited for her ear drops. And Grandma got to feed her some applesauce (WHICH SHE LOVED) and then we got in the car, she was out again. I will say that this was a crazy day but I'm so glad that she seems to be doing great. Her neck looks a lot worse than I expected, but they say it will heal with out a scar, so I'm okay.

This was her after we got home and had some more dinner and a bottle. As you can see she's perfectly happy, and that's what her neck looks like. Hopefully it won't look that way long! :) Thank you all for your prayers through out this process. We know we serve a mighty God and He always knew she's be fine! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment