Friday, February 22, 2013

Hospital Drama of February...

A few weeks ago, I got a call from my grandmother, saying that her foot hurt really badly, she couldn't stand up and she was calling the ambulance to come and get her. I headed to her house, and her foot was very badly infected. She went to the emergency room, where they admitted her, and started IV antibiotics. I spent the next 10 days driving over to Memorial to see her, spend time with her, and make sure that she was understanding the doctors and they were understanding her. (She's 92 years old, on no medication, with great eyes and the only way you see her age, is that sometimes she doesn't hear everything you say.)

On day 10, as I was at the hospital with Grandma Gwen, waiting to see the doctor so they could move her to rehab, when I got a call from my mom. She said "Hey honey, I don't want you to worry, but I'm having some pains in my chest and Marsha's going to take me to the ER at Shands Jacksonville."

Um. WHAT??!?!?!?!? :) So I told Grandma Gwen what was going on, and headed across the river to Shands. My dad met me outside, and took the kids for me, and I went inside to be with mom. They did an ekg, and said it was abnormal. They were concerned, so they admitted her, and did an heart catherization the next day. The procedure went very well, and when the doctor came back, he told us that my mom's heart looked great. And then he told us to "go see the pulmonologist."

The next day Mom and Josh went to Gainesville, where they prescribed her a steroid treatment to treat acute rejection. She's on an IV steroid for 3 days and then a 7 day taper off oral dosage. We're hoping and praying that this will take care of it. If this doesn't work, then there is one more treatment they can try for acute rejection. But for now, we just have to wait. We go back March 6th, and should know more then.

No comments:

Post a Comment